August 30, 2012

Taking it on the shin

“Casablanca” was on last night, so I missed Paul Ryan’s speech. I have seen it 100 times, but honestly, I would choose to watch “Casablanca” for the 100th time than a Paul Ryan speech for the first time.

I wish someone inside convention management would preview convention speeches and remove confusing images before they occur, which has been every night of the convention so far. Tuesday night, Chris Christie confused me (see my previous blog) when he said, “Our seniors aren’t selfish,” when the transcript of his speech read, “Seniors are not selfish.”

Last night it was Rand Paul (he came on before “Casablanca”), talking about the global appeal of The American Dream. A boatload of Vietnamese refugees was approaching a U.S. vessel, he said, and the refugees were apparently aglow and emoting gleefully at the very sight of Americans.

Paul said that, watching this, “it was hard not to get a lump between your shin and your bellybutton.” I was taken aback. I could think of only one place in the American male anatomy where a lump could appear between the shin and the bellybutton, and it likely would not be inspired by a boatload of Vietnamese refugees.

A few seconds later, naturally I thought, “He must have meant CHIN.” I wish someone had thought of the opportunity for confusion at the point where they were vetting the script, and realized he should change it to “nose,” and spare viewers their 10-second image of Rand Paul with a lump between his shin and bellybutton, brought on by the approach of a boatload of Vietnamese refugees.

Tonight: Mitt Romney. I wonder who will play Mitt Romney in the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment