December 04, 2008

Get your "Toolpusher from Snyder" right here

When his eyes fell on Slim Willet's name in my Thanksgiving blog, my old (approaching ancient) Abilene pal Ray Finfer more or less immediately posted a comment saying: "Slim Willet has a CD?"

Well, yes, he does, but that is getting ahead of the story. The CD I was listening to on Thanksgiving morning was loaned to me by another native Abilenian, Jon Standefer, who got it from a thoughtful Texas friend of his. It was home-burned, a compilation, and I have to say I was disappointed when there were like only five cuts on it. One of them, "Toolpusher from Snyder," though, is an all-time favorite and naturally left me wanting more. But there was only "Hadacol Corners," and then "Don't Let the Stars Get in Your Eyes," which of course hit the national charts in 1952 when it was covered by the crooner Perry Como.

I actually thought "Don't Let the Stars Get in Your Eyes" was inferior, compared to the primary Willet genre, which were songs about the oilpatch. They were vigorously regional (if you didn't know what a stem and a rotary table were, it was no use listening to Slim Willet) and never would make the charts, but you couldn't beat 'em for unique.

So when I saw Ray's comment, I thought, no, Slim Willet doesn't have a CD. But for a couple of years now, every time I say or think the word, "doesn't," I immediately think of Google. So it was more or less automatic that my eyes, reading Ray's comment, told my fingers to Google Slim Willet. There were 3,360 results. One of them is artistdirect.com and, yes, they do have a Slim Willet CD, 30 cuts in all, including all the oilpatch songs "mastered from original vinyl," and available on special order for $16.99. I hope their site doesn't crash in the rush, which is why I'm going to wait awhile to order.

I'm in no hurry. See, I don't have a Slim Willet CD, but I do have the original LP, "Oil Patch Songs," with Slim in oilpatch duds and hard hat, looking down at the camera from the rig floor. I haven't played it in years because I haven't had anything to play it on. The only people with turntables anymore are still churning their own butter. My plan is to order the CD and frame the LP and hang it in the hallway and every time I pass it think about Ray and the boys eating their hearts out.

1 comment:

  1. Nice to finally make your blog!! I plan to order the CD. Had almost forgotten Slim. Brings back great memories of Abilene and AHS. Being a kid from the "base", I was happy to be accepted after a fashion by the town kids, including you, my friend. I have great memories of you and have told MikeGrant sories to my grandkids (settling arguments by stepping into Lavenders, going to the movies right after you had surgery and you busting a stitch over The RoadRunner, trading you my original Elvis Sun 45s for a small debt I owed you—which I bet you still own—and listening to you play the guitar and sing and wishing mightily that I could do either one) Love your blog; the Abilene stories are the best. Have happy holidays

    ReplyDelete