October 16, 2012

47 Percent Defamation

In his famous remarks about "the 47 percent," Mitt said that we, the 47 percent (I am a member of the 47 percent), are dependent upon government.

He said we believe that we are victims.

He said that we believe that government has a responsibility to care for us.

He said we believe that we are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it, that they are entitlements and government should give them to us.

He said we will vote for Barack Obama no matter what (which clearly identified me as among the 47 percent).

He said we are people who pay no income tax; 47 percent of Americans pay no income tax, he said.

He said he’ll never convince us we should take personal responsibility and care for our lives.

Last week, Mitt told a national television network commentator that when he said those things, he was "just completely wrong."

Excuse me, but when he said that, wasn't it an admission that he defamed 47 percent of the American people?

I certainly feel defamed. Defamation is publishing something false about a person, which damages that person's reputation, or ability to make a living. Everything he said was false, or "wrong," he said, as it applies to me, except the one about voting for Obama no matter what.

Other statements were defamatory, but they would be difficult to prove in court, where the battle is gray vs. gray. Being called a victim defames me. But a Mitt attorney would say, "Define, 'victim.'" That might take six months and still be inconclusive, legally.

But it only takes one count for the plaintiff to prevail. I will vote for Obama, which identifies me as one of the 47 percent, whom Mitt said pay no income tax. In my Sept. 18 blog, I told Mitt I would show him my last 10 years of tax returns, if he would show me his. I pay taxes and have the documents to prove it.

Under defamation law, I also have to prove "injury," that my reputation was actually damaged. Every day until Nov. 6, I am posting on Facebook a tribute, as a member, to The 47 Percent. A high school classmate, who is a Romney supporter, read this and commented, "What I cannot figure out is how you managed to be one of the 47 percent of Americans who don't pay income taxes."

That statement damages my reputation.

No comments:

Post a Comment