November 06, 2012

Completely wrong, completely consistent

On the day before the election, Mitt told a rally crowd:

“I’ve learned that respect and goodwill go a long way and are usually returned in kind. That’s how I’ll conduct myself as president. I’ll bring people together. I won’t just represent one party, I’ll represent one nation. I’d like you to reach across the street to that neighbor with the other yard sign, and we’ll reach across the aisle here in Washington to people of good faith in the other party.”

Say what?

I wondered: Why would Mitt try to run off his party's base, on the day before the election?

If Mitt got elected president and acted as described above, the tea party would eat him alive. What would it look like if a president tried to lead the nation, but was blocked by resolute obstructionism from his own party? What would it be like if the GOP base came to hate Mitt? What would Rush do? Hey, I wonder if Rush is marketing one of those plastic bracelets: WWRD?

Anyway, Mitt is completely wrong again, when he says if elected, he “won’t just represent one party.” On Day 1, he would be representing two: the GOP, and the tea party. He says he’d “represent one nation.” Minus the 47 percent, of course, whom he has promised never to worry about.

It is so much more logical, and cleaner, when Obama wins, gets a pragmatic GOP's support to move the nation forward, giving the GOP successes to claim in 2015-16, and crushing the tea party in the process. I haven't voted yet. Can't wait to.

No comments:

Post a Comment