November 06, 2012

Voting against myself, in a couple of ways

Obama hits me where it hurts when he says Mitt would restore '50s cultural values.

1) When I started writing newspaper columns in 1972, I regularly referred to my wife as "the little woman." This may seem like a small thing, but such was the ignorance, I still cringe into a tight little knot of shame. To her, I apologize once again.

2) When I go to my high school reunions (class of '61) back in Texas, there are no black faces there. Sometime in the '90s, I started to feel that our reunions were an anachronism. Once I suggested that we should have a reunion of both white and black high school classes of '61, all in one big room, talking about our high school experiences. It didn't gain much traction. Just as well. The whole idea was patronizing.

When I vote for Obama today, I will be voting against those things I don't like about myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment